Saturday, June 16, 2012 | By: Unknown

Let Me Explain

A bit of clarification. 
I don't think I really explained my goal very well in my last post about food.
I received a lot of emails from family and friends making sure we weren't going to be unhealthy vegetarians (yes those exist). I am glad my family loves me that much. =D

I am going to take back the title of my journey from:
Our Journey to Vegetarian
and change it to:
Our Journey to Maximum Health

I have learned a ton over the last 4 months. I have listened to many audiobooks and also seen primary literature on nutrition topics. I also now see that what I used to think was healthy is not healthy at all. I look at food totally different.
My goal isn't to just not eat meat because I do agree that meat can have a place in our diet. I am all about eating REAL food. I totally agree that a lot of vegetarians do not look healthy and look rather frail at times. That's not my goal and we are not doing this at all to get 'skinny'. I can be skinny and still eat meat. There are also vegetarians out there that know what they are doing and are very strong and healthy.
Our goal is overall maximum health so we are definitely wanting to eat REAL food and not soy burgers or tofu dogs that are processed into a vegetarian meat option. I would rather have a fresh cut of organic grass-fed beef or wild fish because that is natural.
  I am very interested in learning more about nutrition and very open to new ideas especially if they make sense. Obviously our motivator is cancer so if there is a certain food that is linked to it then I am willing to give it a try.
I am still looking into the literature that says cancer may be associated with meat consumption and I am not 100% sold that meat itself causes cancer but that it could be the way we produce our meat.
I do think that if we (society) could know what is best for our bodies and have the discipline to eat what we should then we could save ourselves from a lot of suffering and health costs.
I am planning on documenting my education and the new literature and information I get because as I have changed a lot over the last few months I am sure I will keep learning new things and change again. 
All I can act off of is what I know. 
I am really just on the continual search for truth.
  
Stay tuned ....

1 comments:

*Brandi said...

I wish we knew lots more about all the things that cause cancer. Did you know that California is a sea full of generic warning signs about cancer? Almost all buildings have signs that say something to the effect of, "This area contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm." I've seen them at every restaurant and there's even one our apartment building.